Sunday, May 4, 2008

Big Easy Rollergirls


so, a couple of weekends ago gavin and i went to the championship match of the 'big easy rollergirls'. i must say that i am now a roller derby convert. we went because my fab friend katie (from law school) skates for The Crescent Wenches and our bitchin' friend lauren (with whom gavin works) skates for The Confederacy of Punches. these are some bad-ass bitches. i would try to explain how the game is played, but that would be a feat that i don't think i could handle. suffice it to say, they beat the crap out of each other on skates while the fastest skater tries to lap members of the other team to score points. it's pretty damn brutal. if you get the chance to check out some roller derby i highly recommend it (i mean, come on, can you beat women in tight clothes and fishnets beating the crap out of each other on roller skates? i don't think so!!).


by the by, katie (aka Louise ze Animal) and Lauren (aka Cheap Thrill) are the best skaters they have. they totally kick ass and (even though they're on seperate teams) they are my absolute heros!! keep kickin' ass ladies!!

here's some stuff and pics about my two girls--

Cheap Thrill
Skate name: CHEAP THR!LLNumber: #40 oz. Hometown: NOLA (by way of transplant)Team: Confederacy of Punches (how deep?)Position(s): Powerblocker/Comic ReliefSkate size (men's): 8












Honorable injuries: Quadruple Tib/Fib ankle fracture with peek-a-boo bone feature. All the rage in early 2007! More recently, an intense impact to the right knee, which resulted in a large smiley face bruise and a traumatized bursa named Gregory.Notable tattoos: One green spiral. Small and half-faded, rarely seen.Unusual talent(s): I am nothing, if not an entertainer. I also hold the current title of league beer shotgun champion.













Most (in)famous for: Being the first Big Easy Rollergirl ejected from a bout. Also well known for being Membership Manager/Attendance Hard Ass, the Penalty Wheel Mistress, a committed vegetarian, and for saying and doing whatever is currently on my mind due to an apparent lack of impulse control.Awards (2006/2007 Fleur de Wheelies):• Rah-Rah Award: Best League Spirit • Nom de Pummel Award: Rollergirl Most True to Her Name.Item always in skate bag: An amalgamation of things both necessary and otherwise. I rarely clean out my bag.

"If I wasn't in roller derby I would be.....": still waiting to live in a place with a roller derby league I could join. It was only a matter of time and couldn't feel more right. That's why I keep coming back after injuries. It's my destiny!

Motto: Reject the popular idea of how things are supposed to be and explore life for yourself. There are no guarantees in this world, so be happy and have fun...just not at the expense of others' well-being.

Drum Roll Please for my main girl...

Louise ze Animal- Skate Name: Louise ze Animal Number: 42 usc § 1983 Hometown: N'awlins. And H-town. (That's "Hammond," yo.) Team: Crescent Wenches, BERG All-Stars Position(s): PivotSkate size: 7 (men's)


Honorable injuries: Scar on my left thigh from reccurring rink rash. Giant creature/callous on my right foot. Scar on my right ankle where my first pair of skates-
cheap ones- took a bite out of my foot. While jamming as a sub for the Villains, I got a bone bruise to my knee. Oh, and at boot camp I sustained shoulder socket bruises, as a byproduct of the first time I was ever hit
by Cheap Thrill. Luckily, none of these has been career-threatening. Notable tattoos: I have an invisible tattoo of "Crescent Wenches" across my heart. Unusual talent(s): Changing clothes while driving. I'm a harried, mobile Clark Kent. I also can talk like Bill Cosby on "Bill Cosby Himself," when he gets the injection at the dentist's office.



Most (in)famous for: Pointy shoulders. I sharpen them. Awards: No BERG awards. I am angling for "Skater With Most Spirited Fans," because Momma Animal constructed about 40 pom poms in Wenches blue and pink. Lacy Underalls is giving me a run for this award. Item always in skate bag: about 5 mismatched filthy socks, and some lamb's wool.












"If I wasn't in roller derby I would be.....": Very sad. And overweight. Motto: "Don't judge me by my size because I will take you out at the knees." - Bert Spahr.
















Keep on rockin ladies!!! Next season it's all the way!!
Love you both!!
Support local roller derby!!

3 comments:

Meeg said...

42 USC s1983 is the Federal Action for Civil Rights violations. That's awesome.

Stinky's Mommy and Daddy said...

and to be expected from the staff attorney for the louisiana aclu. i should have guessed that that's what it was. you have to admit, she looks tough as hell in those photos. who would have thunk that mrs. robinette was such a hard-ass?

Stinky's Mommy and Daddy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.